Monday, February 1, 2010

but where are the fish?

Gabriel: Mommy!!!

Me: Go back to bed!

G: Moooooooooommmmmmmmyyyyyy!

Me: WHAT?! (read in the tone of my mother)

G: I can't sleep.

Me: Do you want me to turn on a CD?

G: yes.

Me: Story or songs?

G: Songs ... I want to listen to Phish! I like them because its daddy's favorite.

Me: Ok. (fumbling around with CD's in the dark)

[turn on cd and fiddle with the volume]

Me: There. Can you hear it ok?

G: yes, thank you.

Me: Ok. Good night, guys.

Ethan: Mommy! Wait!

Me: (rolling my eyes)(don't judge me, its dark) What?

Ethan: This isn't a fish song!

Me: Yes, it is.

Ethan: But where are the fish?

Me: Fish aren't actually in the songs. It's music by Phish.

Ethan: No, it doesn't sound like fish.

Me: No, fish don't perform the songs. The people playing the music, collectively, are called Phish.

Ethan: Oh... are they singing about fish?

Me: Ummm.... yeah. Good night!

end scene.

This post is otherwise titled: Who's on first?

2 comments:

Casey said...

As long as it gets them to sleep, you can tell them anything. Mmmmmm, sleep. Sorry, tired here.

Laufa said...

I am so on the same page as you.
I guess I've been talking to my 6yr old like he understands big words, hilarious to hear him try to explain it to my 8yr old in his words.