Sunday, September 9, 2012

Adventures in Art

The G boys are about to explore the wonderful world of art!

It all started when my friend Jaime, a gifted artist, came over to give me an art lesson for my birthday. Ethan asked if he could join us and she generously agreed. They were so cute, I almost didn't get any of my own painting done. She sat with him and talked to him about color, mixing colors, blending colors. He was such a natural! 

Ethan's painting and the original photo he worked from. 
Then Gabriel wanted to paint and we spent a Friday night painting a portrait of Duncan. They really enjoyed it.

Since before I can remember, my mom took me to the St. Louis art museum. We would usually tour the visiting exhibit but often go spend an afternoon in primitive art, or modern art, or the classics. She taught me how to look at it critically, to see more than the strokes on canvas. She went so far as to drive me to Chicago and Memphis to visit their exhibits that didn't have St. Louis tour dates. As I got older and experienced the turbulence of young love, trials of an entry level career and the uncertainties of independence, visiting the art museum was something that brought me a lot of joy.

Now its my kids turn!

In the early 90's there was an artist movement in Zurich called Artist Trading Cards. These progressive, avant garde artists were creating their work on baseball card sized cards and trading them, sharing them. This movement has gone global and now it has arrived in my world.

This is a great opportunity to teach my kids about different styles of art, techniques, mediums, artists. We are going to pick a different theme each week, along with some of our adventurous friends and create our cards.

If you would like to join our artist's movement in the Grigg household, please do! I'd love to post what yall create too.  Here is a quote I found in an article about the trading cards:"There are just two rules in ATC," announced West Hartford, Connecticut, artist and teacher Erika Davis-Pitre at the beginning of the first ATC workshop Quinn and I attended. "Every card must be 2 1/2- by 3 1/2-inches in size, and they can be traded but never sold. Otherwise, no rules: your card is waiting for whatever you can dream up." ....   Erika laid out a few guidelines. "Write your name and the year on the back of every card," she said. "And think about giving it a title when you're done." As we worked, she passed along more valuable advice: take your time, do your best work, use the whole card, and remember, there's no such thing as "wrong" in art.

Our first theme is cubism. Some famous cubists are Picasso, Georges Braque, and Juan Gris. I think my living room rug is inspired by cubism. If you've never visited my blog before, I'm obsessed with my rug. Its one of my favorite things ever. So go to town. Google it.  Google image it.

I'll post next Sunday from the fruits of our labor!


No comments: