Monday, July 20, 2009

Gabe Gabe Bo Babe

Why I love Having Kids: Reason #554 - they fetch tp

Normally, we would leave the house for the Dr. office with him kicking and screaming (literally) and I would have to hold him down to put on his seat belt and then it takes a couple of people of calm him and hold him down during his shots. Last week, it was a lot easier. Last week, I didn't drag him to the car, he got in voluntarily and buckled up and casually mentioned that he didn't like shots. In fact, I had to talk to the lady about the bill (whoa! the cost of keeping your kid alive is outrageous! worth it - but outrageous) and glanced over to see him sitting in the lab patiently waiting for his shot. So I snapped this while he wasn't looking. Not even one tear was shed.

He is so scared of shots. I am talking deep, deep fear beyond any reasoning. This child gets so many wounds from rough housing with his brother and playing on his bike; wounds that would make even me cry. With the worst inflictions, he is brave, he puffs up his chest and says that he's strong like a daddy and that doesn't hurt. But a couple of little bitty shots at the Dr. and he goes berserk. But its getting better. He's getting used to it.


Chicago Style Hot Dog Night at my house. We polished off a jar of pickles. I was doing the dishes. Everyone else was off doing their own things. Except Gabriel who, when I turned back toward the table to wipe it down, I saw this.


We really polished off a jar of pickles!

Ok, so back to the subject of health care...

Do they charge so much for health care because they can? Do they do it because they know we will pay for it because we would rather be alive than broke? Are they taking advantage of the old adage: you can't put a price on life? Just mixing the antigens is $1600!!! Of course that's before the insurance pays some of it but still - its enough to make me want to move to Alaska.

9 comments:

Nadine said...

Believe me I understand. It's insane the amount of money they charge. I'm glad he's dealing so well with shots now. Isn't it amazing how grown up they can be?

Casey said...

I don't know why health care is so damn expensive but it is! Man, your doctor's office looks nice...

Graham is terrified of shots too but we're still in the hold em down stage. I hate it but he needs them so we do it. WHat a brave little boy you have there. Is that the "I love danger" shirt from Target? We've got the same one! Love the shot of the pickles getting polished off.

for a different kind of girl said...

Oh, my! The thought of shots and then the thought of drinking pickle juice both just made me shudder!

My boys, thankfully, haven't needed any shots for a couple years, but the last time we had to have them, my oldest informed me that he was now officially old enough and brave enough to not even flinch, then he pondered offering his assistance to younger children in the waiting room, serving as a model of proper shot behavior. I told him it was a great idea, but maybe we should hold off on it, but now that I think of it, it could possibly be a fund raiser for future medical appointments!

Mrsbear said...

Ew, on the pickle juice, although I'm pretty sure my son would do the same with olives, he's addicted to the Kalamata ones. I keep telling him they don't qualify as a meal...Although, maybe that's the secret to courage, just like spinach did for Popeye and his muscles...No?

I don't know why health care is so much. It really is sick that you can't get SICK. I'd move to Canada if it wasn't so cold.

The Stiletto Mom said...

My lips are puckering at the thought of pickle juice! How cute is that? I would give anything if I could get my kids to even try pickles...

You know what I think about health care this week so I'll save you the rant. :)

kyooty said...

Ah Alaska is worse! Canada isn't free either. We've forked out 2000 this year that's just regular "I'm not feeling well, and I have a hernia".

Pearl said...

I love pickle juice and would do the exact same thing. I actually don't use a straw, I just drink out of the jar like a cup. I do the same thing with an empty bag of pretzels which is actually just a big pile of salt that couldn't hang on to it's pretzel any longer. MMMMMMMMM!

Gabe is such a strong little boy!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Sprite is not really afraid of the doctors. Shots? Meh. She gets it, cries for a few seconds, then enjoys the sticker and whatever color band-aid they give her. (Last time it was a hotwheels band-aid. She was less than thrilled.)

Krista P said...

Hmmm - dare I ask why you had your camera while you're on the toilet?

He's getting so brave! And do NOT get me started on the cost of health care - lol. I totally agree.

Ah - the jar of pickle juice remark makes sense now.