Monday, November 10, 2008

by the grace of God

There we were - in the garage, packing up our gear for our big trip.

I was walking into the garage with double back up dry socks for the family when I heard blood curdling screams coming from my eldest. My stomach dropped. Tears welled up in my brain but that mom instinct kept them from going to the other side of my eyeballs (never let 'em see you panic).

He was playing in the car when the door slammed on his hand. The monster SUV door. Had his fingers been literally just a hair farther into the door jamb, we would have surely been at the hospital. But by the grace of God, it looks like he is getting away with a sore hand and some bruising on his fingers.

But when you hear your child scream like that .... you moms know what I'm talking about. There may be as much adrenaline going through you as your child. Sirens go off in your head and you start going through the checklist of supplies before you even see the damage: ice, tourniquet, towels, water, Popsicle, call 911?!?!?!

In this instance it was just Popsicle and icepack.

Thank you God.

2 comments:

Nadine said...

I'm so glad it wasn't more serious. It is the most horrible sound in the world to hear that scream. You heart just stops.

Krista P said...

Ah - that feeling when your heart literally stops, your chest aches - time freezes.

Thank God he was ok. Poor little man.