Monday, December 22, 2008

Busy Elf

Brandon's old stocking was one his mom made for him when he was a kid. I thought he was sentimental about it so all these years, I never replaced it. Turns out, he wasn't. So I made him a new one!
From Adventures of the Grigg Boys


My mom and I brainstormed ideas over the phone. I went to Goodwill and bought some supplies.

I thought it would be a great surprise for Christmas morning but when we had the party at our house on Friday I decided he might like it to be hanging by the fireplace for the party.

Diligently I went to work cutting and sewing and cutting some more. Right off the bat, I learned that my sewing machine -which isn't really mine but is on extended loan from my mil- wasn't working. I hadn't used it since last year when I made some Christmas presents so I didn't know what was wrong or what had happened.

I started hand sewing the stocking. This I did for several pain staking hours - until I made a mistake and had to redo a large section - at which point I wanted to pull my hair out. So I said to Brandon, "Sorry, but I don't think the stocking will be done for the party" He hardly seemed to care about the stocking but seeing the frustration on my face he offered to take a look at the sewing machine. At which time Ethan awoke and off I went to tend to him. When I returned, Brandon was sound asleep. And I thought to myself, "hmmm.... if he thinks he can fix it, maybe I can fix it." Guess what? I can!
Hooray for sense of accomplishment!

Here is the finished product. As a tribute to his mom - and because he may not be sentimental but I am - I used the ribbon from the stocking she made him to hang it with.


Those are real pockets - front and back!

6 comments:

Auntie Amy said...

The stocking looks wonderful. The creative nut doesn't fall far from the tree!

The Stiletto Mom said...

Oh so cute!!! Good for you, I could never do that!

Have a very Merry Christmas Bex!!

Kellan said...

That is simply the greatest stocking and gift! You are a very talented - I love it!

Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas, Bex! I'm glad we've become friends this year. One day - in the new year - we WILL get together!

Take care - Kellan

Krista P said...

Nicely done! I am so proud to call myself a friend.

Let me know when mine's done.

Nadine said...

You did a great job. It's very creative.

Have a very Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

That stocking ROCKS!! You're the BEST! Your mom is right the creative nut DOESN'T fall far from the tree! Good JOB!